Results-focused Senior Executive with 20 years of experience in the healthcare services sector. Highly successful leader with a strong complement of skills related to operational initiatives, financial profitability, clinical programming, staff management, and team/organizational development.
Summary of Qualifications
- Extensive experience in the Long Term Care, Healthcare and Rehabilitation service industries
- Solid financial knowledge of P&L, budgets, revenue and EBITDA margin growth
- Business development skills including sales, contract negotiations, pro forma analysis, and start-up processes
- Efficient leveraging of clinical practices to maximize quality outcomes
- Focus on organizational leadership, management development, employee recognition and retention
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong customer/client relationships
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to drive initiatives and create consensus among internal and external stakeholders
Senior Vice President of Operations 2005 – 2011
- Oversaw operations of 120 contracts (SNF’s, CCRC’s, Assisted Living, both inpatient and outpatient services). Revenue exceeded $100 million per year. Consistently exceeded financial goals.
- Managed (directly and dotted line) a full and diverse team in three states (CA, NV, and NM) representing: Operations (Regional Vice Presidents, Area Managers), Clinical Services (Directors and Specialists), Sales, Recruiting, and Administration. Division employed over 1,500 healthcare professionals (Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, and Speech Language Pathologists). Consistently achieved lowest employee turnover rate in the company with annual average < 7%.
- Created management infrastructure, coordinated staffing, clinical program implementation, customer service trainings, and adherence of company policy and procedures. Exceeded company new business goals year over year. Growth statistics included no service-related contract losses.
- Led customer partnership vs. vendor relationships across all chain, owned, and independent clients. Provided monthly outcome updates including financial and clinical key factors, recruiting, marketing, and strategic alignment for mutual bottom-line results. Received company award for Outstanding Customer Service, 2009.
- Ensured Quality Improvement Initiatives related to clinical program development, survey preparation, corporate and regulatory compliance.
Vice President of Organizational Development 2004 – 2005
- Developed and conducted management skill set assessments across all operational and clinical roles within the company. Implemented broad-based, and manager specific skill set training to leverage strengths and identify areas of opportunity throughout the management teams.
- Provided monthly training, individually, and in conjunction with outside speakers, to enhance and empower each manager’s leadership skills, customer interactions, and professional accountability.
- Created a succession planning program, including the selection process, mentoring activities, and management trainings to guide participants as they moved through the ranks. Successfully promoted 17 internal employees to positions of increased responsibility within the company.
- Led the employee and customer satisfaction survey process. Provided summary results, and developed customized action planning to address opportunities. Overall satisfaction scores improved by 12% within the year.
- Refined goals of President’s Council to focus attention to meeting employee needs. Created company’s employee recognition and retention program. Developed quarterly communication to the field about corporate perspective and initiatives. Addressed workflow opportunities to increase coordination between departments to facilitate organizational efficiency.
Aegis Therapies, CA
Area Director 2003 – 2004
- Oversight of over 50 facilities in 2 states (CA, HI). Revenues exceeded $30 million annually.
- Managed operational team (5 District Managers) and clinical support staff.
- Transitioned book of business from owned to non-owned following sale and acquisition. Ensured successful maintenance of contracts, retention of staff, and implementation of new customer policies and procedures.
Aegis Therapies, CA
Senior District Manager 2001 – 2003
- Responsible for operational and clinical management of CA region producing $6 million in annual revenue.
- Developed new business sales/outsourced contracts. Growth within region resulted in over 35 contracts, with expansion of management duties and promotion.
- Recipient of District Manager of the Year Award 2001, and Most Growth Award 2001.
Beverly Rehabilitation, CA
Rehab Consultant / District Manager 1998 – 2001
- Multi-site consultant for Rehabilitation Departments and Skilled Nursing Facilities. Focus on PPS training and preparation through implementation. Led successful transition from in-house to contract rehabilitation service provider. Position evolved into direct operational and clinical management of 11 facilities and 65+ FTEs.
- Recipient of District Manager of the Year award 1999 and 2001. Recipient of Most Business Growth award 2001.
Therapy Associates, Inc., CA
Regional Manager 1996 – 1998
- Multi-site management for contract rehabilitation services (Physical, Occupational, and Speech Pathologists). Assisted with transition to a therapist registry staffing company prior to PPS.
Gardner – Manzella, Inc., CA
Director of Program Development/Area Manager 1993 – 1996
- Responsibilities included multi-site supervision of staff Speech Language Pathologists, and Clinical Fellow (CFY-RPE) interns.
- Development of company-wide Speech Therapy clinical programs (Dysphagia, Trachs/Vents, Augmentative Communication Systems, Dementia, Functional Maintenance). Provided and coordinated CEU courses for staff and management.
Gardner – Manzella, Inc., CA
Lead Clinician, SLP 1991 – 1993
- Provided comprehensive assessment, treatment, care planning and consultation with the interdisciplinary team in Skilled Nursing Facility setting.
Saint Joseph Medical Center, CA
Staff Therapist, SLP 1989 – 1991
- Provided comprehensive inpatient, outpatient, adult day health assessment and treatment to pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric populations. Consulted on modified barium swallow studies.
Master of Arts, Communicative Disorders, California State University, Northridge, 1989
– Graduated Summa Cum Laude
Clinical Rehabilitative Services Teaching Credential – Language, Speech and Hearing, California State University Northridge, 1989
Bachelor of Arts, Communicative Disorders, California State University, Northridge, 1986
– Graduated Magna Cum Laude
Recipient of Pacific Bell Academic Achievement Scholarship Award, 1986
“Functional Maintenance Programs” Country Villa Health Services, February 2004
“Dementia Management in Long Term Care- A Practical Approach” NADONA, October 2002
“Freedom through Functionality – Partnership between Beverly Rehabilitation and Nautilus”, March 2001
“SLP Status in Long-Term Care, Pre-PPS and One Year Later” ASHA Annual Convention, November 1999
“Delivery of Services to Dysphagic Residents” CAHF, Channel Islands Chapter, July 1995
“Cervical Auscultation – Use with Dysphagic Residents” Beverly Healthcare, July 1994
“Functional Maintenance Programming for Dementia Management” Gardner Manzella, August 1993
California State Licensed Speech – Language Pathologist
Certified Member, American Speech, Language, Hearing Association
References Available Upon Request